You will no doubt be aware of the current situation regarding the coronavirus disease, COVID-19, impacting the world at this time. We at Christian’s Travel would like to assure you that we take your health, safety and enjoyment on our tours very seriously and are reacting to the changing situation daily.
What is COVID-19?
COVID-19 is the disease caused by a new virus belonging to the coronavirus family. This family of viruses can cause a variety of illness in humans ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS).
How is COVID-19 transmitted?
It is thought it can spread when someone coughs or sneezes and they spray small liquid droplets from their nose or mouth which may contain the virus. These droplets may then be inhaled or land on a body surface or object then touched to the eyes, nose or mouth.
What are the symptoms of COVID-19?
Symptoms can range from nothing (asymptomatic) to mild cold/flu like symptoms (fever, headache, lethargy, sore throat, runny nose, dry cough, aches and pains) to breathing difficulties.
How long does it take to get symptoms once exposed to the virus?
The incubation period (i.e. the time taken to develop symptoms from the time of exposure) is generally around 5 days but is estimated to vary between 1 and 14 days.
How do I keep myself and others safe from catching the virus?
- Regularly and thoroughly clean your hands – preferably with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or if not available, with an alcohol-based cleanser to kill any virus;
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth as the virus can enter via these surfaces;
- Keep at least 1.5m away from people who are unwell to avoid droplet spread;
- Practice good hygiene if you are unwell e.g. turn your head away from others and cough/sneeze into your elbow crease or a tissue and dispose of used tissues immediately into a sealable bag;
- Wear a mask if you are unwell or if you cannot avoid close contact with others that are unwell. Please note that not all masks are equal – a standard surgical mask worn properly may help prevent spread for a short period but becomes ineffective once moist and is not particularly useful at protecting you from others. Masks rated P2 or N95 are used to protect those who cannot avoid contact with people who are unwell e.g. health care workers.
- Stay home if you are unwell. Seek medical attention if you have a cough, fever or difficulty breathing but call ahead and follow the directions from your local Practice or Health Authority re attendance at a health facility.
What if I am unwell with respiratory symptoms leading up to my journey?
Given that we now have person to person community spread of COVID-19 in Australia, it is important for your health and the health of others that you seek medical attention should you develop any of the symptoms above in the 2 weeks leading up to your journey. In this situation, we will require medical clearance, including negative swab results, before you join the journey. Please bear in mind that swabs can take 3-4 working days to process. If you are unwell at the point of departure or on joining the tour without this clearance, you will be prevented from joining the tour.
What must I do before travelling/boarding?
All passengers must complete a health questionnaire prior to boarding.
What if I get sick on tour?
It is essential you let your Coach Captain/ Tour Coordinator know as soon as possible if you start to develop flu-like symptoms on tour including fever, headache, lethargy, sore throat, runny nose, dry cough, aches and pains or difficulty breathing. You will be isolated from the group.
Should you test positive for the virus causing COVID-19 while travelling, you will be unable to re-join the tour and will be subject to local health authority restrictions. Our staff will assist until you are cleared to leave. Any costs incurred for having to quarantine will be your and/or your insurance provider’s responsibility, which is why we highly recommend purchasing travel insurance before your tour begins.
Will my insurance cover me?
Please check with your insurance provider.
Refunds and Cancellations
Will be as per your terms and conditions of the ticket. If you have to cancel your trip last minute due to contracting COVID-19 then you would be having a discussion with your insurance provider about recouping costs.
Will other travellers be screened prior to boarding?
All passengers will be required to adhere to the increased screening protocols.
Want more information?
Should you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact your local health professional or your Tour Coordinator by phone (03) 5255 5252 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.