Christian’s Bus Co. ABN 76 567 545 950 and all their related bodies corporate (Christian’s Bus Co, us, we, our) takes your privacy seriously and is committed to responsible privacy practices.
What is personal information?
Some types of personal information are designated as ‘sensitive information’, which are subject to additional protection under the Privacy Act. For example, these can include information about your health.
What types of personal information do we collect?
The types of personal information we collect about you will depend on the purpose for which the personal information is collected. This can include:
- in the case of customers purchasing our services via our website – your name, billing or shipping address (if applicable), email address, telephone number(s), emergency contact details (name and contact details), payment information (including credit card information or alternative payment method account information), and order details;
- if you have requested to receive news about exclusive offers, promotions, or events – your name, mailing or street address, email address, and telephone number(s);
- if you have contacted our customer service unit to make a complaint, provide feedback, submit an enquiry, request a call-back or request a refund for a product or service provided by us – your name, mailing or street address, email address, and telephone number(s);
- in the case of prospective employees or contractors – information contained in your application or résumé, recorded during any interview, or obtained through any pre-employment checks, and government-issued identifiers such as tax file numbers; and
- in the case of our suppliers – your name, mailing or street address, email address, and telephone number(s).
We also collect technical information and general analytics, such as web browser type and browsing preferences, Internet service provider, referring/exit pages, and date/time stamps, IP address, time zone, and geolocation data (if applicable) arising from your use of our website.
How do we collect personal information?
We collect your personal information directly from you, including when you:
- access or use our website;
- purchase our services;
- sign up to receive news and exclusive offers, promotions, or events;
- enter surveys, competitions, promotions or requesting information or material from us;
- make inquiries about us or our services or otherwise communicate with us by email, by telephone, in person, via a website or otherwise; and
- apply to work with us or are engaged by us as a contractor.
Where it is reasonable and practicable to do so, we will only collect personal information about you from you directly and not from third parties. In limited circumstances, we may also collect personal information about you from third parties, such as through the provision of passenger lists from schools or private tour organisers.
Can you choose not to disclose your personal information?
If you contact us to make a general enquiry about us or our business, you do not have to identify yourself or provide any personal information. Alternatively, you can also notify us that you wish to deal with us using a pseudonym.
However, if we are not able to collect personal information about you, we may not be able to provide you with the information or assistance you require. For example, we will not be able to send you information you have requested if you have not provided us with a valid email address or telephone number.
How do we use your personal information?
In general, we use your personal information for purposes connected with our business.
Some of the specific purposes for which we use your personal information are as follows:
- to provide our services to our customers or to receive goods or services from third parties;
- to enable the proper operation and functionality of our website;
- to verify your identity (for example, if you request access to the personal information we holds about you);
- to consider you for a job at Christian’s Bus Co (whether as an employee or contractor) or other relationships with us;
- to communicate with you and to address any issues or complaints that we or you may have regarding our relationship;
- for direct marketing purposes (see the “Direct marketing” section below); and
- to contact you regarding the above, including via electronic messaging such as SMS and email, by mail, by phone or in any other lawful manner.
We may also use or disclose your personal information for e.g. our administrative, marketing (including direct marketing), planning, product or service development, quality control, survey and research purposes and for other purposes to which you have consented, or as otherwise permitted or required by law.
Technical information and general analytics is used for the purpose of gauging visitor traffic, trends and delivering personalised content to you while you are on our website, and to improve our website and our services.
To whom do we disclose personal information?
We may disclose your personal information to third parties in connection with the purposes described above (see the “How do we use your personal information?” section).
This may include disclosing your personal information to the following types of third parties:
- our related companies to provide essential services on our site for our business processes;
- any potential third party acquirer of our business or assets, and advisors to that third party;
- our professional advisers (such as lawyers, accountants or auditors) and insurers;
- our employees, contractors and third party service providers who assist us in performing our functions and activities e.g. payment systems operators and financial institutions, cloud service providers, data storage providers, shipping companies, telecommunications providers and IT support services providers;
- organisations authorised by us to conduct promotional, research or marketing activities;
- third parties to whom you have authorised us to disclose your information (e.g. referees); and
- any other person as required or permitted by law.
If we disclose your personal information to third parties we will use reasonable commercial efforts to ensure that such third parties only use your personal information as reasonably required for the purpose of disclosure and in a manner consistent with applicable laws, for example (where commercially practical) by including suitable privacy and confidentiality clauses in our agreement with a third party service provider to which we disclose your personal information.
Direct marketing communications
We will only send you direct marketing communications (either through mail, SMS or email), including offers any news and exclusive offers, promotions, or events, where you have consented to do so.
You may opt-out of receiving direct marketing communications at any time by contacting us or by using opt-out facilities provided in the direct marketing communications.
Does personal information leave Australia?
We store personal information in servers located in Australia. However, we may use cloud-based software and suppliers located outside of Australia from time to time to provide us with services or otherwise to enable us to provide our services to you.
Except where an exception applies under the Privacy Act or other relevant legislation, we will take commercially reasonable steps to ensure that overseas recipients to whom we disclose personal information do not breach the Australian Privacy Principles stated in the Privacy Act in relation to such information.
How do we protect your personal information?
We will take reasonable precautions to protect your personal information from misuse, loss, or unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. However, as the Internet is inherently insecure, we cannot guarantee the security of transmission of personal information you disclose to us online. Accordingly, you transmit your personal information to us online at your own risk.
When you enter payment information (such as credit card information or alternative payment account information) on our website, we encrypt such information using secure socket layer technology. When we collected such information, we simply pass them on to the relevant payment processor to complete payment processing, as required. We never store complete payment information.
Please notify us immediately if you become aware of any breach of security.
How long do we keep your personal information?
How can you access and correct your personal information?
You may request access to any personal information we hold about you at any time by contacting us. We will provide access to that information in accordance with the Privacy Act, subject to any exemptions that may apply. We may charge an administration fee in limited circumstances, for example if we are required to print a substantial amount of hard copy material.
If you believe that personal information we hold about you is incorrect, incomplete or inaccurate, then you may request us to amend it by contacting us.
What is the process for complaining about a breach of privacy?
If you have any questions, concerns or complaints about our collection, use, disclosure or management of your personal information, please contact us in writing using the contact details below.
We will make inquiries and your complaint will be assessed by an appropriate person with the aim of resolving any issue in a timely and efficient manner.
If you are unsatisfied with the outcome, we will advise you about further options including, if appropriate, review by the Privacy Commissioner within the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
Exemptions and inconsistency with law
Where laws allow for an exemption to compliance with certain legal obligations (for example, the employee records exemption), we may rely on such an exemption.
How to contact us
If you have a query, concern or complaint about the manner in which your personal information has been collected or handled by us or would like to request access to or correction of the personal information we hold about you, please contact using the details provided below:
Christian’s Bus Co
Attention: Privacy Officer
3 Station St Maddingley VIC 3340
Last updated: 23 November 2021